Location: Mississauga, ON
Reporting to: VP, Operations
Travel Required: Yes – within the GTA and other CL locations in the US & UK
The Director of Data Centre Facilities provides insight and strategic guidance to meet the growing needs of our customers for co-location, hosting, and managed services. This position requires industry insight, business acumen, risk management and executive level perspective into client’s business needs and growth opportunities. The candidate will possess considerable professional experience in the industry and be a recognized leader in providing recommendations on Data Centre strategy.
This position is also responsible for oversight and daily management of facility operations, including customer interaction and service request fulfillment, hands-on facilities maintenance (HVAC, Electrical and Mechanical), management of service providers, minor construction oversight, and response to incidents. We are a rapidly growing organization and we embrace change as a way of life. Our innovative solutions and exceptional customer service to clients has set us apart from our competition.
- Manages facility infrastructure resource capacity planning and analysis. Makes recommendations for expansions and growth timetables and provides monthly reporting.
- Expert in Data Centre technology and operations with the ability to provide advice to clients on planning and strategic direction for their outsourcing, hosting and data centre needs
- Makes major strategy decisions that lead the team through Risk Management, Quality Management, and strong service performance
- Ensure all data security and storage solutions comply with regulatory and legal requirements
- Achieve cost effectiveness through the close management of chargeable rates for space, power, connectivity, ongoing hardware maintenance etc.
- Able to lead the team and client through the transition process providing governance to ensure clients are provided with options that are flexible and comprehensive and meet their expectations
- Able to lead the team through successful delivery of the Data Centre migration to ensure we are providing technology expertise to minimize risk and provide strategic outsourcing solutions in a secure environment
- Ensures all engagements meet client expectations, demonstrating quality standards and speed on issue resolution.
- Provides coaching, guidance and direction to the team on all aspects of the client engagement and operational support
- Accountable to attend and lead executive level discussions at management meetings and resolve any escalations or conflicts
- Identifies and anticipates issues and risks and actions and works with the team in developing a mitigation strategy
- Ensure individual skill development plans for each employee are implemented and aligned with business direction as well as individual employee career objective
- Cultivates productive and proactive working relationships with property management and other tenants in order to jointly resolve issues.
- Drives the identification, development, and delivery of all documentation and training for facility support staff at the Data Center.
- Plans capacity for entrance facilities, co-location cabinets, cage layouts, coordinating carrier fiber builds
- Oversees the scheduling, maintenance, and monitoring of all heating, ventilating, air conditioning, water, electric and other systems to ensure efficient operation.
- Inspects facility and generates inspection reports.
- Prepares and manages capital project budgets and operating budgets.
- Manages facilities staff to deliver expected service levels to customers within the prescribed budget.
- Manage Health & Safety compliance
- Manages team schedule to ensure customer support and facility coverage.
- Coordinates work assignments among facilities staff, vendors, and contractors.
- Co-ordinates with sales to ensure order delivery.
- Reviews price quotes for the procurement of parts, services, and labor for projects.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with customers.
- Responds to problems in a tactful and expedient manner.
- 24-hour on-call as first escalation point for all Data Center facilities incidents.
Required Experience and Skills
- Strong Knowledge of HVAC, AC and DC electric power experience.
- Minimum 5 years direct experience as a Data Center Manager. Management experience in multi-tenant facility preferred.
- Proven leadership qualities demonstrated in defining strategies for the client and within CentriLogic
- Ability to lead teams effectively by maximizing each team member’s abilities and skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and strong leadership skills
- Exceptional customer relationship-building skills with the ability to instill confidence in the client – ability to manage the client in crucial circumstances to positive outcome
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Skillfully presents ideas and strategies to peers, team members, executives, and clients
- Effectively manage and encourage strong partnerships with vendors and other support teams
- Confidence in own abilities and a willingness to make decisions and escalate when necessary.
- Effective oral/written communication and time management skills.
- Ability and drive to learn and apply new technologies rapidly – looks for out-of-the-box solutions for our data centers – improvement through innovation.
- Responsible attitude, ability to take initiative and ownership and to adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to lead and direct team members, maintain schedules and manage small to mid-size projects.
- Ability to work on cross functional teams to ensure operational resources and sales are collaborating to exceed customer expectations.
- Professional communication and problem resolution skills with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong facilities management background.
- CAD/US experience desirable.
University degree in related discipline or 7+ years related experience.
Please email your cover letter, salary expectations and résumé to Human Resources with subject line: “Director, Data Center Facilities”
(No phone calls, faxes, direct mail or agencies please).
We thank all applicants, and will contact only those applicants with qualifications matching our requirements.